Intertwined

...so she let the glove mask the pain

She sat in that corner
the usual
he looked, and went on
as usual
to sit down a bit further away

They had to themselves

the two darkest spots
of the stuffed hall
to observe

Her expensive muslin

the tender milkiness of skin
sparkling embedded emeralds around her neck
Nay, that wasn't where it lay

but in the eyes that remained downcast
through every dance
unaware of any eyes watching hers
Always wondering into the depths 

of the seas of faces
unknown to her
He saw it

This last day that he saw her

his ears caught a whispered sob escaping her 
secured by the wind brushing her wounded soul,
a question that hung forever weighing on his mind.
She was murmuring to herself
‘Yes, they say they’re only lines on my palm
but was it only me who saw two destinies intertwined?’  

A sigh escaped him.
retreating, he muttered sotto voce,
'I will not have the last dance, afterall.'

Comments

  1. Samya I read the poem. The girl doesn't know about him right? The last two verses were beyond my understanding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. what I meant was that he finally learns that she is preoccupied with her past, so that he won't stand a chance with her :)

      Delete
    2. I didn't get the preoccupied with the past part. It's lovely poem when you read with that meaning.

      Delete
    3. 'but was it only me who saw two destinies intertwined?’ suggests that she was and is in love with someone else who doesn't love her back. Unrequited love. But she's still caught up with it so that the stranger realizes he will not have the dance with her or that he can court her :)
      simply put, that's what I wanted to mean, but I don't know how successful i was at it!

      Delete
    4. plus it is a bit tragic, as she who can love so deeply is still absorbed in a person who doesn't care, and is blind to other people such as the stranger here who might've loved her the same way! you can interpret it as you like most!

      Delete
  2. a question that hung forever weighing on his mind,
    ‘Yes, they say they’re only lines on my palm
    but was it only me who saw two destinies intertwined?’  

    I thought it was the boy who asked the question?

    ReplyDelete
  3. " his ears caught a whispering sob ",so tose words came from her, she was saying that to herself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got it completely. Sorry I'm a bit dense. The caption of the photo, so she let the glove mask her pain; glove hides ring finger where a wedding band might be worn?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favourite Hindi Poem ~ "Pratiksha" by Harivansh Rai Bachchan

Third Time's a Charm

What is it like to be in Heaven..