The Game



So how are you progressing Vidya?
I have gone 2 squares up!
What squares have you conquered?
I got the heirs to two oldest families of the island pinned down.
Excellent feat young lady! 

That fine complexion must’ve surely helped,
but not so bad at all for 23!

And how did you to Melanie?
I am stuck at the same square, 

neither is my purse plump enough, nor my name long enough
Oh well, Melanie you must get a move on! 

The clock is ticking by.
I know, the clock hands just reached 28!
28!
Oh no, no, hurry up Melanie before you dry up completely!
How about you abandon that square of no hope, and go down to square 15?
What? To a single-story house and no car?
Yes, but there must be some compromise… (at this age)
A PHD is no good without looks and some dough, you know?

Poor Melanie!
Ah, it’s Anita! So tell us how are you getting along?
Wonderfully well!
He and I are so much in love, 

we’ve scheduled our wedding at Ibiza this June!
Oh, nice, so you’ve jumped from 80 to 96?
Yes that I surely did. (What are you mumbling Melanie?)

No, I just said lucky Ani; 
they’re one of the biggest business families.
Mel, Mel, you always play The Game nice, 

but it’s hardly the luck of the rolling dice!

How did you do it Anita?
You’ve only to overlook his many feminine indulgences (ohhhh), 

maneuver your way through the family's circumstances, 
cozy up, smarten up, and play the game of pretenses!

Oh, girls, girls, 
it’s a note from Nuwani! (remember she led the scorecard last?)
“I made up my mind and broke up. 

I’m marrying my childhood sweetheart. I am going down 61 squares to square 35.  
We’re getting married on 14th Feb, and you’re all welcome to come!”
Oh, what a foolish one!
I guess then Anita just won…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favourite Hindi Poem ~ "Pratiksha" by Harivansh Rai Bachchan

Third Time's a Charm

What is it like to be in Heaven..